NEW YORK – Members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) Local 1 and IATSE Local 764 have voted to ratify new labor agreements with the Metropolitan Opera.
In voting on Sunday, August 31, members of IATSE Local 1 voted to ratify the six-year agreement, with 90 percent voting in favor.
In voting that concluded last week, members of IATSE Local 764 voted to ratify their four-year contract, with similar overwhelming margins voting in favor of the agreement.
“Every day – in theaters and, on movie sets and in every venue imaginable – IATSE members rise to the challenge of creating great entertainment,” said IATSE International President Matthew Loeb. “At the Met, we faced the threat of a lockout and a lost season. Our members rose to the challenge, and did not waver from our goal of contract that was fair to all parties. The end result is a forward-looking agreement that will keep great opera on stage in the heart of New York as well as on 1,900 movie screens and give a great institution the chance to create a long-term, sustainable business model,” said Loeb. “We’ll continue the ratification process with additional IATSE local union members, and work together to create a new beginning of stability for the Met.”
Member of IATSE Local 1 are skilled craftsmen who are experts with carpentry, lighting, sound, props, set and building construction. IATSE Local 764 members are costume shop employees and dressers who assist the performers with their costumes.
IATSE members in five additional locals representing workers at the Met are still in the process of considering tentative agreements for ratification. These include:
- Local 751 members, including Treasurers and Ticket Sellers, are the front line of the Met’s interaction with the public.
- Local 798 members are the artists responsible for hair and makeup.
- Local 794 members are technicians involved in the Met’s live broadcasts.
- USA 829 members (Designers and Scenic Artists) are painters as well as the designers of sets, lighting, costumes, sound, and projection.
- IATSE Local829EE members are responsible for posters and signage around Lincoln Center.