Audiovisual communications technologies are exploding throughout the Entertainment and Exhibition industries. Trade shows, live preformances, sales and corporate presentations, movies, television, theatre, and educational seminars are using these technologies more and in innovative ways. This explosion has created a need for more and better trained personnel to install, maintain, and operate the equipment. Seeing the opportunity for IATSE members, the International has entered into a partnership with InfoComm International to provide InfoComm benefits and membership to all IATSE members, and to promote the importance of trained AV professionals.
- Membership - InfoComm members receive many benefits including free and discounted training and seminars, free event and trade show admittance, networking opportunities, tools and resources for AV professionals. For more information about InfoComm, click here.
- Recognized AV Tech - InfoComm Recognized AV Technologist Certificate Program offers a way for AV professionals to get entry-level technical knowledge. This certificate is not a certification, but employers in the industry look upon those with the recognition as having a baseline of common knowledge and vocabulary. Those who wish to earn a certificate can take the 3 classes and test online for free through the IATSE/InfoComm partnership. For more information about the certificate program, click here.
- CTS Certification - A Certified Technology Specialist is a recognized certification for experienced AV workers (click here for more information about CTS certification). The course is 3 days long, and there is no cost for qualified students for materials or to attend.
IATSE members who wish to take advantage of these benefits, click here to begin.
Audiovisual Fundamentals for Stagehands
Audiovisual Fundamentals for Stagehands is a four day, hands on classroom course that is part of the InfoComm/IATSE Live Event Technician Certificate. Take advantage of InfoComm International® and IATSE’s three-year relationship focused on getting you training for the jobs that are there and the jobs of the future. Together, Infocomm and IATSE have developed a customized classroom course and certificate program for stagehands making the transition to audiovisual jobs.
This course is designed for IATSE members who want to become audiovisual technicians.
The hands-on portion of this class will cover basic setup, operation and troubleshooting of audio, projection, presentation files, and AV networks typical in breakout rooms. Each candidate will be given a set-up to perform in an allotted amount of time as a hands-on final exam.
About the Certificate Program:
Upon successful completion of both the four-day hands-on classroom course and the prescribed Infocomm online modules, the participant will receive an InfoComm/IATSE Live Event Technician Certificate. The modules cover relevant context to a live event professional – an overview of the AV industry, science and vocabulary of audiovisual systems, and “AV math” that eliminates system setup guess work.
This four-day classroom course is eight hours each day. The online modules for the certificate program must be completed within six months following the classroom course.
To sign up:
Class size is limited to 28 persons per class and daily attendance is mandatory.
CTS Prep Classroom Course
CTS Prep can help ease your nerves and boost your confidence before you take the Certified Technology Specialist™ (CTS®) exam. Through this course, you will hone in on the specific areas where you need to focus your study time. You will explore the CTS® exam format, and review exam content areas including creating, operating, and servicing AV solutions as well as conducting management activities. Learn test-taking strategies and what to expect the day of the exam.
- It is strongly recommended that students complete Essentials of AV Technology or pass the InfoComm-Recognized AV Technologist Test.
- Students needing extra preparation in AV math are recommended to take AV Math Online.
- A copy of the CTS Exam Guide is included.
- Identify the specific areas where you need to focus your study time.
- Completion of this program in no way guarantees that you will pass the CTS exam, nor will this program cover all the topics listed in the test outline.
- By registering for this course, you are not signing up for the CTS exam. The CTS exam must be applied for, paid for and then scheduled separately at a Pearson VUE Testing Center.
- Please refer to the CTS Candidate Handbook or infocomm.org/cts for details.
CTS Certification Course Testimonials
Upcoming InfoComm courses are available at our Events page, where registration instructions are also available. IATSE and InfoComm held four classes in their first year of partnership, and multiple IATSE members have given glowing reviews about the course materials and instructor, who was an IA member who worked in the AV field. Read our member testimonials: